Sunday, March 16, 2008

Blog #5

Blog #5

Part I

1. The lives of white women varied from place to place. In the South white women who were from wealthy families, never performed heavy labor. They had slaves who worked for them. The elite white women managed their slaves. Additionally, as wives of masters, they punished slaves who misbehaved. On the other hand, in the North women from poor families had to perform hard works. Women from families who weren’t slave owners became nurses for black women. Some others also worked in the fields to help their families. Black women, however, had to work in fields because they were ordered so. They worked as hard as black men did. These women were mistreated and beaten. Nevertheless, the hardest thing for black women was to bring a child into the world, for the child was going to be another slave.

2. Harriet Jacob’s story is significant because it confirms once more that there was no law or authority in the 1800s that protected women, specially slaves. Harriet was a black girl. She was a slave. Therefore she was her masters property. She had lost the her childhood innocence when she was twelve years old. Her master constantly abused her in every possible way. While Harriet Jacob had to work for her master, she also had to satisfy his sexual needs. Many black women lived under the same circumstances. Not only they were sexually abused by their masters but these women were also mistreated by their masters’ wives, who acted out of jealousy.

Part II

1. Slaves were properties of their owners, masters. The masters didn’t think that slave marriages could be beneficial for their wealth. Additionally, they didn’t think that black people could have same kind of emotions as they did. The owners didn’t allow slave marriages. However, the characters in the two accounts proved it otherwise. They proved that their relationships were full of emotions. More importantly, they proved that they could do anything for love. Their loyalty for one another had made them stronger. Above all the difficulties, two people who loved each other were ready to risk their lives. While the woman, who had to dress like a man to be able to travel with a slave, was risking her live, her lover, her slave, would also be in danger if caught.

2. These writings were first recorded on paper after years of the actual events. William Craft’s explanation is detail oriented. Not only he talk about the happening but also about his thought at the moment. I think he remembered all the details because William wanted to learn to write so that he could write his own story. All those years he probably played the events in his head to keep his memory fresh. On the other hand, Polly Shine’s story was more general. However, even though she was very old when her story was finally recorded, she remembered some important events. Finally, I think people react differently even when in the same situation. While the story is still the same, the individual experience may vary form person to person. Therefore, every individual’s memory is personalized.

8 comments:

Tatev Tovmasyan said...

Response # 1
Tatev
Hi Marianna. I hope you are good. I really like how you expressed your ideas regarding to this particular subject. The subject I am talking about is the documents that we read. How you said that the slaves are their owners’ property and are not allowed to do whatever they like. I mean that is very unfair. First they don’t give slaves any right and just make them work for them, and later on they don’t even let them get married and have kids. And even if they do have kids without any official marriage their kids belong to their owners. Isn’t that just crazy? I also agree with you when you said that Craft’s story was very detailed and showed his emotions and what he was experiencing at that time. I mean it is really brave thing what William and Ellen did. They could be caught and then brought back to slavery and even punished. But they decided to risk their lives to escape the slavery and leave with each other, because they were very dangerously in love with each other. I really like reading your blogs and then kind of discussing them with you or by myself.

Anonymous said...

Tyler's R #2
Hey Tatev! I gotta say, reading your responses are always fun! You writing is so casual it's almost like actually having an inclass discussion with you! And your very last sentence is hilarious! I also agree with what you say. It's such a sad thing that slaves had no choices. But there were those slaves that had a good life. Like Phyllis Wheatlly. Her masters gave her her freedom and helped her with publishing her book. I don't know if you ever read Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beacher Stowe (not sure if I spelled her name right). Well the slaves in the story had a very kind and gentle master. And the only reason their master sold them was because he owed money. So I guess my point was kinda lost... But there were some slaveholders that treated their slaves with respect and dignity, what dignity they could gather. I think that the Crafts story is a very inspirational one. I think that it is also very ironic that Ellen was able to escape her master because her father, a white man, had an affair with a black slave. Her half-white complextion was the sole reason the two were able to escape so easily. Kinda a slap in the face for her master huh? Thanks for the response Tatev!

gohar said...

Gohar R#2

Hi Tatev, I am glad you like Marianna’s idea about slave. You are right, she expressed her idea very well and she was able to express her ideas perfectly. The idea of slaves being property of their owners and not being able to do what they desire was mentioned in her blog. They were not able to get married and the child was separated from his or her mother at a very young age. Craft and Shines story was interesting and sad at the same time. The story talked about how the slaves did everything in their power to become free.

Anonymous said...

Mariam Res #1

Marianna,

I agree with you on Question #2 of part II. Like you, I believe that White slave owners did not think that slaves had feelings and emotions. They did not consider slaves as people. It shows how ignorant and selfish they were. I also agree that these two stories proved otherwise. They proved that slaves were full of emotions, fell in love and risked their lives for the one they love. What is really devastating to see is that after witnessing the heartbreaks these slaves felt after being separated from their families and loved ones, their masters still continued to view them as inhumane creatures.
I also agree about Harriet Jacob’s story. I like how you stated that the story confirms that there were no laws and regulations that protected women. It is true; these young girls were used by older man for their sexual pleasures and were abused by the master’s mistress as well. They had not protection and no where to go. It is also sad to see that slave owner women did not try to help out the female slaves after witnessing the terrible situations they were put into; instead, they did the opposite by making their lives more difficult.

Anonymous said...

Elias-R#2
response to mariam
You are correct in your response when you stated that the slave-owners treated their slaves as if they were not even human. I was a little confused when you said that the masters saw the slaves as being inhumane but then realized that what you meant to say was the slaves were seen as inhuman, meaning not human. If the masters saw them as being inhumane, it would mean that the masters believed the slaves were causing negative hardships for the masters. Just clearing that part up. It is difficult to think of a time when certain races in the U.S. were not seen as being human and were treated like animals, especially during the whippings that these slaves had received.

Tatev Tovmasyan said...

Response # 2
Hi Tyler. I am very happy that I can make you smile while I am doing my homework. I agree with you with your idea and most likely fact that there were some slave owners that treated their slaves with respect. And I think it’s really amazing how at the times were slaves were not even being considered as humans, some owners found in them the courage to treat the slaves differently. They might have been judged by other owners or conflicts with them because of the way they treat their slaves, but despite all that reasons and obstacles they still set them free. And because of that I am sure a lot of slaves were thankful to the masters who set them free and I believe they made them some kind of proud for what the masters did for them. I don’t know it just fascinates me that at those cruel times they were people who followed their heart. See ya in class!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tatev Tovmasyan said...

Response # 2
Hi Tyler. I am very happy that I can make you smile while I am doing my homework. I agree with you with your idea and most likely fact that there were some slave owners that treated their slaves with respect. And I think it’s really amazing how at the times were slaves were not even being considered as humans, some owners found in them the courage to treat the slaves differently. They might have been judged by other owners or conflicts with them because of the way they treat their slaves, but despite all that reasons and obstacles they still set them free. And because of that I am sure a lot of slaves were thankful to the masters who set them free and I believe they made them some kind of proud for what the masters did for them. I don’t know it just fascinates me that at those cruel times they were people who followed their heart. See ya in class!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tatev Tovmasyan said...

sorry i didnt mean to post my comment twice, just a technical issue.
my appologies