Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Blog # 1
I’m an outgoing, fun, positive, and a solution-oriented person. However, these few words do not describe or define who I am because there is so much more of me in so many different aspects of life. One of my goals in life is to complete my education and get a Master’s Degree in Mathematics/ Physics. When I first started college, it was difficult for me to manage my schedule as I was working full time. I am very even tempered, thus if conflict occurs, I don’t react with my emotions. I don’t do well when things are too easy. Typically, I rise up to the occasion when I’m facing difficult challenges in life. My weaknesses are mostly related to my personal life. I try not to carry them to work or school. I have a dog, Rocky, who is 140 pounds. Not long ago, on a windy day, upon arriving home from work, I noticed our backyard door was open. Rocky was gone. Instead of sitting and crying, I logically analyzed the situation. While he is very friendly and docile, Rocky is also a very scary looking dog. Therefore, I thought somebody may have called the animal control. So I started to drive around the neighborhood looking for an animal control truck. Finally, I saw one and stopped it. The driver said he was going to pick up my dog from a neighbor’s house 3 blocks down the street. And so I found him. Last semester I took a speech class, where all the students were required to give a 3-5 minute speech all in one day. In all, there were 28 students in the class who had to listen to each other for more then 2 hours. At some point the audience was zoning out. However, because I was an active listener, I was able to keep my audience focused when presenting my speech. By mentioning their names and some of the highlights of my classmates’ speeches I was able to connect and identify with my audience. To keep up with my busy schedule, I write a daily “to do” list on a calendar and post it on the refrigerator.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Ruba R# 1
Hi Marianna,
I found it very interesting when you said that you do not do well when you are faces with situations that are too easy. Some people may think, what is the deal with that, but I can relate to that and understand it. I think that some people work well under pressure and can deliver better in some cases. It takes an ambitious person to accomplish that however.
I admire the fact that you do not react with your emotions. It is a very hard thing to do when faced with certain situations to control your emotions and avoid saying things you may later regret. I know I have been in a situation before, where I reacted out of being angry or feeling hurt. Of course, I would have to apologize later on for saying some of the things that I had said. Therefore, that is a very good quality.
About the speech class incident, it is tough to sit and listen for two hours sometimes. Therefore, I think it was very clever what you did. People like to feel appreciated for their hard work and that is exactly what you did by mentioning the highlights of their speeches and therefore encourage them listen to yours.
Ruba R# 1
Hi Marianna,
I found it very interesting when you said that you do not do well when you are faces with situations that are too easy. Some people may think, what is the deal with that, but I can relate to that and understand it. I think that some people work well under pressure and can deliver better in some cases. It takes an ambitious person to accomplish that however.
I admire the fact that you do not react with your emotions. It is a very hard thing to do when faced with certain situations to control your emotions and avoid saying things you may later regret. I know I have been in a situation before, where I reacted out of being angry or feeling hurt. Of course, I would have to apologize later on for saying some of the things that I had said. Therefore, that is a very good quality.
About the speech class incident, it is tough to sit and listen for two hours sometimes. Therefore, I think it was very clever what you did. People like to feel appreciated for their hard work and that is exactly what you did by mentioning the highlights of their speeches and therefore encourage them listen to yours.
Rachel R#2
Hello Ruba! I find it motivating that you, Marianna, and I, are all planning to earn Masters Degrees. It makes the time and dedication required to do so seem less daunting knowing there will be many others working as hard as I will be. I can also relate to the idea that easy work is not always that ‘easy’. I work much better under pressure and am more apt to do better in situations that require more rather than less of me. I respect your honesty when speaking so openly about times in which you have let your emotions get the best of you. I think we have all been there! And it is not always such a bad thing :). Showing appreciation for others work can be the most motivating push needed for further success. I am happy to see so many positive responses from classmates. Nice meeting you both!
Post a Comment